OUT OF MIND
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Is it possible to apply positive + in favor Newton III Motion Law as a dynamic system in a motor engine
Civil Disobedience EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 11:33 pm by globalturbo

» Meta 1 Coin Scam Update - Robert Dunlop Arrested
Civil Disobedience EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 12:14 am by RamblerNash

» As We Navigate Debs Passing
Civil Disobedience EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 6:18 pm by Ponee

» 10/7 — Much More Dangerous & Diabolical Than Anyone Knows
Civil Disobedience EmptyThu Nov 02, 2023 8:30 pm by KennyL

» Sundays and Deb.....
Civil Disobedience EmptySun Oct 01, 2023 9:11 pm by NanneeRose

» African Official Exposes Bill Gates’ Depopulation Agenda: ‘My Country Is Not Your Laboratory’
Civil Disobedience EmptyThu Sep 21, 2023 4:39 am by NanneeRose

» DEBS HEALTH
Civil Disobedience EmptySun Sep 03, 2023 10:23 am by ANENRO

» Attorney Reveals the “Exculpatory” Evidence Jack Smith Possesses that Exonerates President Trump
Civil Disobedience EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:48 am by ANENRO

» Update From Site Owner to Members & Guests
Civil Disobedience EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:47 am by ANENRO

» New global internet censorship began today
Civil Disobedience EmptyMon Aug 21, 2023 9:25 am by NanneeRose

» Alienated from reality
Civil Disobedience EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why does Russia now believe that Covid-19 was a US-created bioweapon?
Civil Disobedience EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

»  Man reports history of interaction with seemingly intelligent orbs
Civil Disobedience EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:34 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Western reactions to the controversial Benin Bronzes
Civil Disobedience EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» India unveils first images from Moon mission
Civil Disobedience EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Scientists achieve nuclear fusion net energy gain for second time
Civil Disobedience EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:25 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Putin Signals 5G Ban
Civil Disobedience EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:07 pm by PurpleSkyz

» “Texas Student Dies in Car Accident — Discovers Life after Death”
Civil Disobedience EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:05 pm by PurpleSkyz

» The hidden history taught by secret societies
Civil Disobedience EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:03 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Vaccines and SIDS (Crib Death)
Civil Disobedience EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:00 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Sun blasts out highest-energy radiation ever recorded, raising questions for solar physics
Civil Disobedience EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 2:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why you should be eating more porcini mushrooms
Civil Disobedience EmptySun Aug 06, 2023 10:38 am by PurpleSkyz

You are not connected. Please login or register

Civil Disobedience

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Civil Disobedience Empty Civil Disobedience Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:55 pm

Ponee

Ponee
Admin

I was having a discussion with some friends the other day, and we started talking about protestors and their causes. I was wondering what some of you think about CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE. Where do we draw the line? When is it justifiable for protesters and activists to break the law for the sake of their cause? What are your thoughts?

2Civil Disobedience Empty Re: Civil Disobedience Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:19 pm

dinarstar

I do not believe in breaking the law,but the right to assemble etc. in peaceful protest works for me.

3Civil Disobedience Empty Re: Civil Disobedience Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:47 pm

openmind

openmind

Civil Disobedience is a form of political protest when one refuses to follow 'certain' laws and refuse 'certain' taxes and refuse an 'unwarranted' hegemony. Ideally it is a PEACEFUL expression of opposition.

There are several scopes through which I choose to examine civil disobedience. Historical, Ethical, and Practical (with reference to protests in the present tense).

There have been instances in history where Civil Disobedience has been harmful to people, unethical in implementation, and at the same time been on the right side of history. For example, John Brown's Raid on the US Arsenal at Harper's Ferry, Virginia in 1859 as an act of civil disobedience, promoting the cause of abolishing slavery, was in my opinion, unjust. People were killed and property was plundered. However, time has proven his raid to be 'on the right side of history.' That is to say that his actions added to plunging the nation into the Civil War, which eventually led to the emancipation of slaves and the abolition of slavery in America.

Often a feeling of being on the right side of history motivates practitioners of civil disobedience into doing something they would otherwise not do. For example modern Islamist terrorists/suicide bombers would like to believe that their extreme actions are permissible, since in the long run, "their side" will somehow 'win" and their world view will be implemented. Here civil disobedience is neither practical and certainly not ethical. We all hope it wont prove to be on the right side of history.

Perhaps the most ideal form of civil disobedience came from Gandhi. He led a Salt March to the sea at a time when the British Colonial Government had levied a tax Indian Salt in India. The protesters marched to the sea and collected their own salt. He also sew his own clothes and cultivated his own food. Thus he overcame any unwarranted hegemony by truly exonerating himself from being dependent on the British regime. There is a great news reel clip showing Indian protesters attempting to march beyond a group of British officers, which I can't find online. Anyhow, these protesters put their hands behind their back and even while being beaten by English batons, they just got back and tried walking forward. WITHOUT ANY AGGRESSION. Now I'm not saying that Gandhi's civil disobedience was the only reason the British finally "quit" India, but it certainly proved a practical and powerful force in doing so. It was certainly ethical as no property was plundered and no one died at the hands of the protesters. Furthermore, Gandhi's satyagraha struggle in India was on the right side of history, influencing many acts of civil disobedience after it.

Civil Disobedience 51kp8l1OcoL._SL500_AA300_

Its always a subjective matter, i guess. Because even after writing this post and thinking this over, I still feel like the Boston Tea Party was totally justified. It was property damage, but so what, the British were taxing the colonist to death.

I just think the line should be drawn at HARM. If people are being killed or harmed, its not civil disobedience, its disobedience to nature and natures laws (sometimes referred to as God's law).

4Civil Disobedience Empty Re: Civil Disobedience Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:53 pm

Anonymous

Actually, if you really study the history, it was not so much a question of being overburdened with taxes as it was an issue of self determination and plain old obstinacy (on both sides). The taxes as passed were really not that onerous. In fact they were far less than what the citizens in England were already paying. I may have the sequence out of order, but I am pretty sure that the tea tax had in fact already been rolled back. At any rate, most of the taxes were in fact ineffective. The actual match that lit the fuse, as it were, was more an issue of smuggling in New England being sharply curtailed as a result of increased British enforcement.

I'm certainly no history expert, but I have read and continue to read extensively of that period of history. If we are to understand the documents and ideals foundational to our country and our constitution we need to understand the writers of those documents, and the times they lived in. It is only when we have done this that we can hope to understand where we should be going.

Otherwise a very good post openmind! :D

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum